Inspiring Young People – Planning Activities – STEM
This course is part of the Inspiring Young People in STEM programme, which will enable you to inspire a love of science, technology, engineering and ‘Maths in young people.
You’ll find out how to plan based on learners’ starting points, use success criteria, and develop your classroom questioning to adjust your teaching approach and respond to student learning.
In the final part of this course, you’ll look at medium-term planning and the benefits of working with colleagues as you change your practice.
- Learn how to plan and design effective STEM activities that engage young people through your volunteering.
- On this course you’ll plan to identify your learners’ thinking, clarify learning goals, and fine tune your teaching, so you are better able to progress your students’ understanding, both in and between lessons.
What topics will you cover?
- Planning to gather evidence about your students’ learning
- Planning to address misconceptions
- Collecting evidence to inform your teaching
- Planning to respond to student understanding during lessons
- Medium-term planning to respond to student understanding across lessons
- What is engaging and inspiring for young people.
- How to link activities with the STEM curriculum and other frameworks.
- Discussing your activity with educators in schools and non-school settings.
- Risk assessments, plans and practising activities.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to…
- develop an engaging and inspiring STEM-related activity for young people.
- demonstrate an appreciation of the STEM curriculum by communicating, negotiating and agreeing an activity with educators and group leaders.
- design a practical activity to be delivered within a school or non-school organisation, with an awareness of the audience, ability and age group.
- produce an activity plan to use when delivering a practical activity in a school or non-school organisation.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes