Communication to inspire young people
In our society, we communicate in a huge variety of ways, from speaking to a friend or with family, to watching TV or listening to the radio, and reading or watching what we find on social media. The manner in which information is communicated to us can have a lasting impact.
When was the last time you were inspired by someone or something? How did the activity or the way an idea was communicated make you feel inspired? How will you develop your volunteering skills and activities to be just as inspiring?
Engaging young people through practical STEM activities is a proven way to get young people excited about STEM subjects, a passion that may lead to further learning and greater awareness about STEM careers.
Why Join the course?
Delivering an activity in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) subjects can be a rewarding experience for the person delivering it and, when done well, it can be an engaging experience for the young people.
- But how do you go about communicating with young people effectively?
- What are the features of effective communication?
- How do you deliver engaging activities?
- On this course you will learn how to improve your communication with young people as a volunteer.
- You will build your confidence in presenting and collaborating so that you’re able to carry out activities that help young people develop an enjoyment of STEM subjects
What topics will you cover?
This two-week, self-paced course will cover:
- Active listening and an introduction to questioning for learning.
- Non-verbal communication and running a room.
- Starting, delivering and finishing a practical activity with young people
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- demonstrate effective verbal and non-verbal communication with young people
- inspire young people to continue with STEM subjects and/or careers through appropriate use of presentation, collaboration and discussion techniques
- build the confidence, skills and ability to do practical activities with young people
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes